The Last Namsara by Kristen Ciccarelli (Iskari #1)
Published by HarperTeen on October 3rd 2017
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy
Format: Hardcover | Audiobook | e-Book
In the beginning, there was the Namsara: the child of sky and spirit, who carried love and laughter wherever he went. But where there is light, there must be darkness—and so there was also the Iskari. The child of blood and moonlight. The destroyer. The death-bringer.
These are the legends that Asha, daughter of the king of Firgaard, has grown up learning in hushed whispers, drawn to the forbidden figures of the past. But it isn’t until she becomes the fiercest, most feared dragon slayer in the land that she takes on the role of the next Iskari—a lonely destiny that leaves her feeling more like a weapon than a girl.
Asha conquers each dragon and brings its head to the king, but no kill can free her from the shackles that await at home: her betrothal to the cruel commandant, a man who holds the truth about her nature in his palm. When she’s offered the chance to gain her freedom in exchange for the life of the most powerful dragon in Firgaard, she finds that there may be more truth to the ancient stories than she ever could have expected. With the help of a secret friend—a slave boy from her betrothed’s household—Asha must shed the layers of her Iskari bondage and open her heart to love, light, and a truth that has been kept from her.
- Beautiful Story Telling
- Between almost every chapter is a back story/fairytale/plot enhancer in the form of short stories. I felt this added a nice personal touch to draw the reader into the world of the Namsara. It was a great addition to the over all plot and provided more answers than we would have been able to obtain from regular dialogue.
- Strong Heroine
- Asha was everything you want in a heroine. She has a good attitude, a strong moral compass, and passion. She was forced into being a dragon slayer, but we get to see amazing character development as she learns what she thought she knew about the world could be misconstrued.
- EPIC Plot
- This was a well thought out and strong plot on the author’s part. Everything seemed to flow perfectly. There was equal bits of everything a story should have: complex characters, action, romance, betrayal and heart break. This one puts your emotions through the ringer… in a good way!
- Dragons…nuff said
- There are enough dragons to satisfy every fantasy lover out there. I mean the story itself revolves around dragons. Ciccarelli creates a world unlike any other fusing dragons and storytelling masterfully.
Have you read The Last Namsara? What are your thoughts? I would love to hear them!
Until next time,
- #TBR: April 2019
- #BookReleases April 2019
- #BlogTour: Wicked Saints by Emily A. Duncan – A Review of Sorts + a Super Awesome Excerpt
- #CoverReveal | March Highlights
- #BookReleases March 2019
- #TBR: March 2019