Unrivaled by Alyson Noel (Beautiful Idols #1) | REVIEW
Unrivaled by Alyson Noel (Beautiful Idols #1)
Published by Katherine Tegen Books on May 10th, 2016
Genres: Young Adult, Mystery, Contemporary
LINKS: Good Reads | Amazon | Indigo | Book Depository
Everyone wants to be someone.
Layla Harrison wants to leave her beach-bum days for digs behind a reporter’s desk. Aster Amirpour wants to scream at the next casting director who tells her “we need ethnic but not your kind of ethnic.” Tommy Phillips dreams of buying a twelve-string guitar and using it to shred his way back into his famous absentee dad’s life.
But Madison Brooks took destiny and made it her bitch a long time ago.
She’s Hollywood’s hottest starlet, and the things she did to become the name on everyone’s lips are merely a stain on the pavement, ground beneath her Louboutin heel.
That is, until Layla, Aster, and Tommy find themselves with a VIP invite to the glamorous and gritty world of Los Angeles’s nightlife and lured into a high-stakes competition where Madison Brooks is the target. Just as their hopes begin to gleam like stars through the California smog, Madison Brooks goes missing. . . . And all of their hopes are blacked out in the haze of their lies.
Despite the crush of tourists storming the sidewalks year after year, Hollywood Boulevard is a place best viewed behind a pair of polarized lenses and lowered expectations.
**** I received and ARC from Harper Collins Canada in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ****
COVER 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 PLOT 🌟🌟🌟
CHARACTERS 🌟🌟🌟🌟 ROMANCE 🌟🌟
WRITING 🌟🌟🌟🌟 WORLD 🌟🌟🌟
- First we will talk about the cover. I LOVE IT. It was perfect to depict the Hollywood high class that this book has at it’s background. And I just love that the strawberry is dripping gold instead of the usual chocolate. A++
- The characters were another high point of the story for me. They came off as very real, but sometimes scripted like reality TV stars. And as I am reality TV trash (meaning I am obsessed with it), then this book and characters were great! Layla was a bit wishy washy for me, but I really enjoyed Tommy and Aster!
- And finally we have the writing. I have read Noel’s previous books in her Evermore series and liked it. This time around, I completely devoured this book for the writing. It was bits suspenseful, bits trashy, and lots of drama. Everything I look for in a book like this!
- The plot was really dragged out in this book. The first half of the book is really just introducing characters and the competition they are all competing in. I really wanted more about Madison and the whole mystery aspect of it. And to find out this will be a trilogy actually has me scared. Can this really be dragged out for 3 books? I’m sensing more filler crap.
- The romance was all over the place in my opinion. It was a mish mash of he likes her, but she likes the other guy etc. I’m hoping for more concrete romance in the next book!
- And then we have the world. As interesting as the rich and famous lifestyle is, it fell kinda flat for me as the backdrop to the actual story. I just didn’t click so much with the club life vibes this story is all centered on. But we’ll see how things progress in the series.
Ok, that’s it. Let me know what you guys thought of Unrivaled by Alyson Noel! I would love to hear your opinions as well!
Until next time,
Alyson Noel is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of twenty=three novels, including the Immportals, Riley Bloom, and Soul Seekers series. With millions of copies in print, her books have been translated into thirty-six languages and have made numerous international bestseller lists.
Born and raised in Orange County, California, she’s lived in both Mykonos and Manhattan and is now settled back in Southern California, where she’s working on her next book.